Pages

Business Intelligence Development Studio 2005 (BIDS)


I recently want to update visual studio 2005 with service pack. The moment i installed in my machine, my studio started behaving very funny. IDE is having repeated menu items with repeated sub menu. I tried repair the studio with reinstalling the service pack and the problem is still more worse. Menus got doubled than before. I tried setting the IDE using Import and Export setting and that does not help. All I need is BIDS and not full version of VS2005 as my projects are migrated to higher versions. So I uninstall the VS2005 from my machine. I uninstall Visual Studio Premier Partner Edition also (by mistake), Please do not uninstall that as it is required for BIDS.

I have SQL Server 2005 database services installed already in my machine, and I downloaded the latest version of service pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (Service Pack 4 RTM) and installed in my machine. During the installation wizard there is a option to select the tool which you want to upgrade, select all and proceed.

Installation went well with one fix failed, and it opened the provisioning tool to set the access for my SQL server database engine. Once the installation is done, IDE started configuring on its own and it ready. I got this information in one of the site mentioned below. But still I want to post the full history to understand the history behind this.

Info I found in that site:
You should make sure that Visual Studio is still installed. If you didn’t previously have VS installed, the BI Dev Studio installation will install a VS shell called Visual Studio Premier Partner Edition. Look in Add or Remove Programs for an entry like this. If you don’t find any entry for Visual Studio go to the location for SQL Server setup and run .\Tools\Setup\vs_setup.exe. This will install the VS Shell. After this is installed repair the BI Studio installation by running the following from the command line from the .\Tools directory: start /wait setup.exe /qb REINSTALL=SQL_WarehouseDevWorkbench REINSTALLMODE=OMUS

No comments:

Post a Comment